Friday, November 18, 2011

The Angle Sum Problem

        In my most recent post, "Angle Properties Of Parallel Lines: A Second Method," I proved properties of parallel lines using the formula for the angle between two lines.  The problem with this is that the way I prove that formula uses the angle sum of a triangle, however the way that is proved USES the properties of parallel lines.  In order to counter this I have tried several things to either: prove the angle formula a different way; or find the angle sum of a triangle by some other method.  The only thing I tried that did work was this:


Fig. 8 Scalene Triangle

          In  ABD,
           sum of  = a + b + 90
          In  BCD,
           sum of  = c + d + 90
          In  ABC,
           sum of  = a + b + c + d
                               = (a + b + 90) + (c + d + 90) - 180
                               = 2( sum of ) - 180
                        180 = 2( sum of ) -  sum of 
           sum of  = 180


          The problem with this proof is that it assumes the  sum of  is constant ...   and I don't know how to prove that - anyone else got an idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment